Sunday, December 30, 2007

1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die

This was my Christmas present from my darling wife. I admit, I did drop hints! It is arranged chronologically from Carmina Burana in the Twelfth Century to Julian Anderson's 2004 Book of Hours.
I notice that I have a lot to learn about the early and late stuff: haven't heard of half of these works!
The book gives articles about specific works, information on the composers and recommended recordings.
It is interesting to see where a particular work fits in history and in a composer's output and what others were writing at the same time.
And I've always liked a nice book of lists: ask Joan!

I was amused by an advertisement for this book and the companion CD set being followed by a recording of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. Maybe that work should now be renamed A Thousand and One Stories To Hear Before I Die!

No comments: