Thursday, December 09, 2004

Comparing Religions

It is always interesting to compare religions, even if you are already convinced about one of them. I have been reading A Spectator's Guide To World Religions, by John Dickson. It is written in an engaging style that makes you want to keep reading. He seems to have done his homework, and I found I knew more about each of the 5 major religions, after reading the book.

His If I Were God, I'd End All The Pain is a great book to read and give away on the problems of evil and suffering. It is short, easy to read and not unbearably dogmatic. Dickson confesses that he also struggles, but he clearly shows how faith in Christ is the best way to deal with these issues. He looks briefly at Hindu, Buddhist, Islamic and Atheist explanations for suffering, and does this in a fair, dispassionate way. A later book, If I Were God, I'd Make Myself Clearer, is another short, thought-provoking look at several influential world religions, including Mormonism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism and Sikhism, through the eyes of a convinced Christian. In this book, Dickson attempts to give some ways in which the claims which Judaism, Mormonism and Christianity make may be tested.

You can purchase these last 2 books from Matthias Media

No comments: