Friday, June 02, 2006

Helpful guide to all those Christian books

I have just completed reading a book that has been helping me to make sense of the many Christian books I read. I began in September, and completed about 15% of it by Christmas, then plowed through the rest from February to the end of May.

The book is the TNIV translation of the Bible. I read the NT using Greg Oliffe's handy guide to reading through the New Testament in 91 days, then simply used the reading plan in the back of my bible for the Old Testament.

I must admit, though, that reading the bible answers some questions, while raising lots of others. But I bore in mind Moses' words in Deuteronomy 29 verse 29:
The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.


I enjoyed this read-through so much, I'm doing it again, but it may take longer this time, as I am attempting to read through my ESV Reformation Study Bible, and this time I'm using Michael Coley's 52 week bible reading plan. This innovative plan divides the bible up into 7 genres: one for each day of the week. You have an epistle reading for Sunday, Law for Monday, History for Tuesday, Psalms on Wednesday, other Poetry on Thursday, Prophecy on Friday and Gospels and Acts on Saturday.

I can't promise I'll keep to Michael's exact order, but I hope to use his chart to tick off what I've read somewhat eclectically.

No comments: