Saturday, June 10, 2006

A little bit pregnant?

Having just completed reading the bible through in the TNIV translation, I'm now reading it through using my Reformation Study Bible. I find the articles, study notes and references helpful, but am finding that the ESV in some places is harder to read.

But what I'm also finding is that the ESV seems to use a lot of the translation methods which its champions deplore in translations such as the TNIV. For example, in Hosea [which I read through yesterday and today], the translators change the person and number in the original Hebrew to make the meaning clearer.

Hosea 2 verse 6 is rendered
I will hedge up her way with thorns,
but the footnote says that the Hebrew text says your way.
In chapter 4 verse 19 the Hebrew original
A wind has wrapped her in its wings
is changed to
A wind has wrapped them in its wings.

Now this is not a problem to me, but the apologists for the ESV say that when the TNIV changes 3rd person to 2nd or from singular to plural, they are changing the Word of God. When the RSV revisers [which is a more accurate description of the ESV translation team] alter the original are they not also changing the Word of God?

1 comment:

Ben Stevenson said...

I was a bit suprised recently to read Romans 3:9 in the ESV.

"What then? Are we Jews[a] any better off?..." (Romans 3:9)

[footnote a] Romans 3:9 Greek Are we

The footnote shows that the word "Jews" has been added, in order to aid interpretation.

(I generally use NIV and ESV and have read quite a lot of the NKJV)