Monday, January 15, 2007

Fast or Slow?

I have been reading the bible through quickly, and have found it to be a great way of seeing the big picture, and also reading it slowly, by memorising a verse or two per day, and then meditating on those verses, as I struggle to remember them!

In my fast read-through, I try to finish a bible book in a few days [except for Psalms and Proverbs, which lend themselves to a slower approach, I think]. This time round I've read:

Old Testament
the first 5 books [known as the Torah, or Pentateuch or Law, whatever you prefer] Chronicles
Job
Proverbs
Isaiah, Jeremiah and several minor prophets

New Testament
Matthew, Mark and Luke [known as the Synoptic Gospels, because you can put them side by side in a parallel setup to observe similarities and differences]
Romans
1 Corinthians
Galatians
1 and 2 Timothy and Titus [known as the Pastoral Epistles]
Philemon
Hebrews
James
1 and 2 Peter
1, 2 and 3 John
and
Jude

So I still have about 30% to do, which I hope to complete by the end of March; maybe earlier

But I'm also memorising Hebrews, following in Ryan Ferguson's footsteps. So far, I'm up to chapter 3, verse 3, having begun on 6th December. I don't know if I'm up to doing the whole shebang, but it has been an exciting adventure, thus far.

It helps to make me concentrate on the details, and also to see little motifs in the first few verses that are developed later in this exhortation. I previously memorised Philemon, 2 John and 1 Peter, chapters 1 and 2, but am sorry to say I have now lost them. But I learnt a lot while I was doing this, and came to appreciate them in a new way. Maybe one day I could review them.

2 comments:

Wayne Leman said...

David, what version are you reading? Which are your memorising?

David McKay said...

Hi Wayne.
I forgot to say which version.
I began my memorising with the NIV, when I had a crack at the little books, and am now using the TNIV.

When I get to Heb 2 and "What is man..." I've been learning it in the plural and singular forms [see footnote] and one time I repeat it I do it with the plural and next time with the more traditional version, which sounds like the Psalm 8 I learnt as a kid.

Thanks for your interest.