Friday, March 09, 2007

Hebrews

I'm continuing to read and re-read Hebrews, in an attempt to follow in Ryan Ferguson's footsteps and memorise the whole book.

He did it in 10 months, but I think it might take me 10 years!

I began on 6th December, and have so far memorised Hebrews 1:1-5:10, which is 77 verses. But there are still more than 200 to go!

I looked at Leon Morris' commentary in the Expositor's Bible Commentary this morning and found this useful chart showing Jesus' superiority to everything in the Jewish religion and way of life. [It isn't formatted as nicely as in the original: sorry!]
Jesus is greater than the prophets 1:1-3
Jesus is greater than the angels 1:4-14; 2:5
Jesus is greater than Moses 3:1-6
Jesus is greater than Joshua 4:6-11
Jesus is greater than the high priest 5:1-10; 7:26-8:2
Jesus is greater than the Levitical priests 6:20-7:25
Jesus as the high priest after Melchizedek is greater than Abraham 7:1-10
Jesus' ministry is greater than the tabernacle ministry 8:3-6; 9:1-28
Jesus' new covenant is greater than the old covenant 8:7-13
Jesus' sacrifice is greater than OT sacrifices 10:1-14
Experiencing Jesus is greater than the experience on Mount Sinai 12:18-24

1 comment:

Vaughan Smith said...

I once decided I was going to memorise the entire New Testament in 5 years. That equalled a chapter a week.

I got about half a chapter in and gave up.

Hebrews is the one book I'd like to have memorised outside of Romans.