Thursday, April 12, 2007

But I can only read one book!

You would think someone was pretty strange if he claimed to be able to read English, but had only ever read one book. If this sounds silly, is it any sillier than a person who claims to be able to read Greek, but has only ever read bits of the New Testament? And some of these folk, according to J I Packer, are translating the bible for us!

F F Bruce also commented that you can't say you are proficient in Greek if you only read the New Testament [and, I might add, with an analytical lexicon, or program such as BibleWorks, guiding your every step].

So I'm having a crack at reading the Didache, as a way into the Apostolic Fathers. This is a fascinating little book, that may have been written about the time of the last New Testament books, or maybe a little later. You can read the Apostolic Fathers in English from The Christian Classics Ethereal Library, but I'm using Michael Holmes' The Apostolic Fathers: greek texts and english translations.

So far, I can make some sense of it, but occasionally, I wander over to the right-hand page for a translation.

No comments: