Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Progress report

This morning I have completed reading through the Old Testament in the Zondervan Archaeological Study Bible. I began this project on 17th October, 2006 which was the day after my birthday, but more importantly, my Aunty Trixie's birthday. Trixie was the first Australian to be sent out as a Leprosy Mission nurse, and served in South India for over 40 years, returning to do more work in her 70s. She died in January, 2006 at the age of 92.

My last chapters were Psalmsc 149 and 150 and the puzzling last 9 chapters of Ezekiel. I find reading through the bible rapidly is very helpful, as it gives an overview of the whole bible. But, passages like Ezekiel 40-48 scream out for a closer look, which I hope to do later.

I now have to read Revelation to be finished the 1189 chapters of the Old and New Testaments.

The Archaeological Study Bible is deservedly the best-selling study bible, I think. Over 250,000 copies were sold in its first year of release, according to The Association for Christian Retail, whose acronym is CBA!

It is a great resource for helping us to understand the background to the bible, and is complemented well by the ESV Reformation Study Bible, which gives important theological information.

I'm also continuing to read the bible slowly, which is enforced by attempting to memorise portions of it. This project, which I began on 6th December, 2006, is slow and I am now half way through Hebrews 6. Every time I go for a walk I attempt to rehearse what I have thought I've memorised so far!

Memorising enables me to meditate on God's Word.At the moment I'm thinking through Hebrews 6:4-6, asking myself why the writer makes such strong threats to those he believes are going to persevere: could it be that the warnings and threats are part of God's means for keeping them on the path?

No comments: